Tower of the Hours
One of the most known and visited towers of Lucca is definitely Tower of the Hours.
Tower of Hours History
In its turbulent history, Torre delle Ore was first of the Quartigiani family and then of the Diversi family.
A name with which it has been called and not very well known is Tower of the Lite just because it was disputed by several rival families.
Finally in 1490 the Republic of Lucca bought the Tower from the Diverse family.
Clock Tower of the Hours
Torre delle Ore has been equipped with a mechanical clock since 1471. The clock was the one made by Lambruccio Cerlotti in 1391 and originally placed in the Palazzo Pubblico. The clock was later replaced with the current one in 1745, built by Louis Simon, a Geneva-based watchmaker.
Opening hours Torre delle Ore
Torre delle Ore can be visited from March to October, while it remains closed during the winter months. Timetables change and in summer it runs continuously from 9:30 to 19:30.
Here are the schedules divided by month.
January - February: Closed
March: 9: 30-17: 30
April - May: 9: 30-18: 30
June - September: 9: 30-19: 30
October: 9: 30-17: 30
November - December: Closed
Cost of Tower Tickets Tickets
Full admission from 15 to 65 years € 4.00
Reduced admission: groups over 10 people accompanied by a guide, over 65, children from 6 to 14 years and students provided they have a suitable card € 3.00
Full cumulative ticket: Botanical Garden, Torre Guinigi and Torre delle Ore valid for two days € 9.00
Reduced cumulative ticket: Botanical Garden, Torre Guinigi and Torre delle Ore; groups over 10 people accompanied by a guide, over 65, children from 6 to 14 years and students provided they have a suitable card € 6.00
Torre delle Ore Clock Restoration
After many years of stop the Torre delle Ore clock has been finally restored. The clock mechanism will be on display in the Palazzo del Banca of Monte di Lucca from March 4th and will remain on display until March 19th.
Later it will be reassembled on the Tower and it will be possible to see the Tower clock functioning again.
The restoration was performed by the watchmaker Giovanni Ermini.