The Walls of Lucca
As soon as you arrive in Lucca, you can not fail to notice the splendid walls that, with their over 4 km, completely surround the historical center of the city.
When were the Walls of Lucca built?
The construction of the Renaissance Walls (those surrounding the city) lasted over 100 years. The construction began in 1544 and ended in 1650.
The Roman and Medieval Walls
There were other Walls in the city of Lucca, the oldest were those built between the 3rd and 2nd centuries BC. Some remains of these walls are visible in the Chiesina della Rosa (Church of S. Maria della Rosa).
Later the new city walls were built in the 13th century and expanded in the 14th century. At the end of Via Fillungo you can see the beautiful Porta di Borgo built between 1198 and 1265, while in the areas of Porta Elisa it is possible to see Porta San Gervasio and Protasio completed in 1265.
The rest of the Walls was destroyed during the construction of the Renaissance Walls, including the other 2 doors (they were 4 total in origin).
When did the Walls of Lucca cost?
The incredible construction of the walls cost 900,000 scudi. Here is the image of a shield.
Curiosity Walls of LuccaAlthough the Walls were built with the aim of defending the city at war, no battle was fought. But they have served to save the city from aflooding of the Serchio in 1812, thanks to the closure of all the doors. An anecdote told is that on that occasion Elisa Baciocchi (sister of Napoleon and Princess of Lucca) remained outside the walls and was raised in the city thanks to a winch.
The Doors of the Walls
The Doors of the Walls of Lucca are 6. Of these 6 only 3 are the original built with the walls: the oldest is Porta San Pietro, of 1566. Later it was completed Porta Santa Maria (or Borgo Giannotti) in 1593 and then Porta San Donato in 1629.
The latter had a tumultuous birth, the original is Porta San Donato old but the curtain built around it did not prove to be quite stable, forcing the workers to build a new door and a new stretch of Mura.
The other 3 doors are more modern, fu Elisa Baciocchi to want the construction of the doors to resume and in his honor was built Porta Elisa in 1811.
A hundred years later it was built Porta S. Anna (Porta Vittorio Emanuele) despite the contrary opinion of many artists of the time like Giovanni Pascoli and Gabriele D'Annunzio. The most recent Gate is Porta San Jacopo, built in 1931.
The sorties of the walls
The sorties of the Walls of Lucca today are very useful for all pedestrians who want to reach the center of the city and were built for a very valid reason, allowing those inside to go out in secret in case of siege of the city.
Walls of Lucca dimensions
The length of "one tour of Walls" is 4km and 195 meters. The height is 12 meters instead.